The constituency MSP for Skye, Lochaber and Badenoch has urged Highlanders to register their electrical items as part of Electrical Safety First’s new ‘Do It Now’ campaign.
Around three quarters of fires in Scottish homes are caused by electricity – with most linked to electrical appliances.
If consumers’ electrical items are registered, it means they can be contacted much more easily if a product they have bought has been recalled for safety reasons.
Kate Forbes MSP said: “It is obviously very useful to register your electrical items – and to read Electrical Safety First’s guide.
“The process will only take a few minutes but it truly could save your life and others’ lives.
“I am helping to raise awareness about this because of how vitally important it is.”
Wayne Mackay, Deputy Public Affairs Manager at Electrical Safety First, added: “Registering your product is essential in helping manufacturers to contact you rapidly if there is a known problem, or a recall of a product.
“Many electrical products are recalled because they can lead to fire or electric shock – presenting a serious threat to life and property.
“And with the low (roughly 20 per cent) success rate of recalls, there could potentially be thousands of recalled items still in Scottish homes.”
Since 2007, 559 recall notices have been issued for electrical products, yet Electrical Safety First’s research found that only 21 per cent of Scots always register their electrical goods.
The guide is also supported by the Scottish Fire and Rescue Services (SFRS).
David Dourley, SFRS head of fire investigation, said: “We are regularly involved in fires, some of them fatal, which have been caused by faulty electrical appliances.
“So we’re urging people to protect themselves from these risks by always registering their products.”